Tuesday, March 22, 2016

WEEDING THE GARDEN...

Weeding the Garden...
I am on a work exchange for a few weeks in Tuscany and one of the chores is to WEED the flower garden right outside the Villa's gate.

The first day the ground was hard, so I weeded as much as I could, the next day it rained and today as I resumed the chore the rain had softened the ground allowing the resistant weeds to LET GO!  I liken this to the resistance within our minds to LETTING GO of that which no longer serves us.  Some of the "weeds" attempt to disguise themselves as "pretty little yellow flowers", again very much like the resistant THOUGHTS in our minds.  I found that my PERSPECTIVE on weeding had shifted as I gave thanks to GOD for the rain that made the "weeding" easier, and for the desire to someday have a garden of my own to weed, nurture, water and watch blossom.  I now see this experience as PREPARATION for even GREATER experiences to come!

As I look at the chore of "weeding" Spiritual aspects occur to me, one being DISCIPLESHIP.  I am on a Spiritual Journey.  I did not begin this journey with this intent in mind, however somewhere along the way the direction turned inward and I followed... reluctantly at first I must CONFESS. Weeding is necessary for the HEALTH and BEAUTY of the garden, it can also be therapeutic to the SOUL and an occasion to be alone with oneself and the MASTER GARDENER.

DISCIPLINED disciples "WEED the GARDEN" and follow certain practices that assist them in doing so:

      *  Spending quality time with the GARDENER
      *  Spending quality time with oneself in disciplined MEDITATION and SILENCE
      *  Discipline oneself to FOLLOW the GARDENER
      *  OBEDIENCE in FOLLOWING the GUIDANCE & DIRECTION of the GARDENER

It is interesting that in the beginning man was placed in a garden by the MASTER GARDENER: the GARDEN of EDEN, also known as the GARDEN OF GOD, and then Jesus experiences His AGONY in the GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE: "Jesus pleads in the Garden, "Father, is there no other way?" He cries out, he searches, he asks. And then he surrenders afresh: "Not my will, but yours."4 Not my desire to avoid desolation, and sin, and corruption, but your difficult and only way to save the people we both love. Jesus models for us disciples what it means to follow." excerpt from 'The Embarrassment of Gethsemane' by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson 

"Now I know why I resisted my soul’s flowering for so long: The ego’s fear of retribution for being different is a soul-killer! We feel so much safer conforming to the wishes of authority figures than challenging them. Don’t we learn the importance of obedience as children?  But there comes a time in the life of every individual when we need to grow up, develop our own authority, find our own voice, and speak and act from our Soul’s truths. When that time comes, it’s up to our ego to enter the Soul’s garden, take off our mask, have a look around, and start weeding." excerpt from 'Weeding the Soul's Garden' by Jean Raffa  

GO OUT and WEED... Spiritually and physically & see how your GARDEN grows!

Richelle D. Jones...  Life Coach for 'Leading Edge Thought'

No comments:

Post a Comment