Saturday, March 12, 2016

FOR WHOM DOES THE BELL TOLL?

For Whom Does the Bell Toll?
What is the BELL that tolls and for whom does it toll?  What does this even mean? The BELL tolls and for what is the reason for the tolling?  The bells on the church in Spigno Monferrato just chimed.  'FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS'

"An expression from a sermon by John Donne. Donne says that because we are all part of mankind, any person's death is a loss to all of us: “Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.”  The line also suggests that we all will die: the bell will toll for each one of us.

I am sitting outside on the covered veranda overlooking the quaint little town of Spigno Monferrato, the sun is shining and warm, my hosts and I just finished a two hour lunch of baguette, cheese & tomato sauce focaccia various cheeses, olives, good conversation, laughter and of course vino!  This is now the scene of where I am composing my post for today.  the title however came to me early this morning upon rising as I heard the bells chiming at the 7:30am hour, time to rise for the day.  I absolutely LOVE the bells chiming at any hour of the day and for whatever the reason.  I was told that at about 15 minutes to noon the bells chime to alert the women to put the kettle on to boil for the pasta and then at noon for the working men's lunch time... a myth perhaps, but quaint!

I am and feeling very BLESSED to be living this life of travelling, photography, writing, meeting new people, cultures, locales, languages and experiencing La Dolce Vita!

“Even the most miserable life is better than a sheltered existence in an organized society where everything is calculated and perfected.”

“We must get beyond passions, like a great work of art. In such miraculous harmony. We should learn to love each other so much to live outside of time... detached.” 

Richelle D. Jones...  Life Coach for 'Leading Edge Thought'

No comments:

Post a Comment